WHAT WE DO
Spark Central is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that ignites the creativity, innovation, and imagination necessary for people to forge the path to their best future.
At Spark Central, we believe that everyone—regardless of income—deserves creative learning opportunities and innovative technologies so they can thrive. We break barriers to creative growth like cost, confidence, and access to tools and technology. We do this by offering membership, youth programming, and community events at NO COST and adult programming at very low costs.
POWERFUL LEARNING PROGRAMS
- Imaginative programs for youth offered at no cost to eliminate participation barriers
- Community events that unite local residents in discussion and learning offered at no cost
- Hands-on workshops for adults at very low costs
TECHNOLOGY & TOOLS
- Computers, robotics, and maker hardware
- Adobe Creative Cloud, Minecraft, and other software
- High-speed fiber Internet
- Curated book and media resources
SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY & SPACE
- Supportive community of volunteers, residents, teachers, and students learning from and inspiring one another
- Creative space for reading, making, and collaborating
- No-cost membership for everyone
WHY SPARK CENTRAL
We believe that everyone, regardless of income, deserves access to creative learning opportunities and innovative technologies. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, one-third of Spokane’s West Central residents live in poverty. Spark Central offers membership, youth programs, and community events at no charge so that everyone has the chance to explore visual and literary arts, engineering, and robotics and follow where their creativity leads.
We often confuse giftedness with opportunity. High-income parents spend 85% more than low-income families on their children’s extracurricular enrichment. By sixth grade, youth born into poverty typically suffer a 6,000-hour learning gap. Spark Central stands in this gap with programs where youth across socioeconomic boundaries come together and learn without limitations.
Schools’ high-stakes test prep comes at a steep cost to the arts and creative thinking. Many extracurricular programs are “pay-to-play,” so under-resourced youth miss out on chances to flex their creative muscles. At Spark Central, youth develop the problem-solving skills and the confidence needed for an ever-changing tomorrow.
Spark Central grows community connection.
By bringing people together for inspiring community events and creative learning activities, we invite volunteers, residents, teachers, and students to learn from and inspire one another. This community builds a sense of belonging, confidence, and ignites dialogue that benefits everyone.